Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Are you following me?

So last week I had a conference on Jekyll Island at the Jekyll Island Club Hotel, and who do you think I ran into? None other than Mr. Joshua Pulitzer. Not in the flesh, of course (although there is rumor of certain manifestations hanging around the place). Apparently, he was one of the New York elite that helped create the millionaire haven tucked away amongst spanish moss and southern hospitality.

Truthfully, I only recognized him as a result of this bog and my attempt to read a ridiculous number of books. I stumbled across a biography of Pulitzer in the local Island bookstore located in the old infermary. While I was tempted to buy it, I purchased a different book instead: Almost to Eden by June Hall McCash. It is a piece of fiction centered around the Hotel, signed by the auther (bringing my collection up to 4), and I hope to one day be able to read it. Until then, it will sit on my shelf with all the other books waiting for conversation, waiting to be acknowledged. Like old friends you promise to keep in touch with, "We need to get together soon," they wait for me to find the time. Until then, they hold their secrets, mysteries, and kind advice.

Back to work now... Lots to be done for a baby turning one. And then... hopefully there will be time to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment