Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

 I was very excited to start this book. It sounded great, and I had received many great reviews from fellow readers whom I love and admire. My excitement dwindled like a bored crowd the further I got into this work. With that said, I can get past my general dislike for the book and understand why it is great enough to be considered for and win the Pulitzer Prize.

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao won the Pulitzer in 2008, and as the title suggests, it follows the brief life of one Oscar Wao, told from the mostly omniscient voice of Yunior, Oscar's on-again-off-again roommate and would-be boyfriend to Oscar's sister, Lola.

Oscar is a tragic character, an unattractive Dominican American who's most erotic years occurred at the age of 11. Through his awkward teenage years and on into young adulthood, Oscar is a depressed individual, immersed in graphic novels and longing to be a successful writer with the love of a beautiful woman. In the end, he obtains the love he seeks but at a great cost.
 
At times, I found this book a struggle, getting bogged down in the Spanglish and trying to brush back the cobwebs of the dark recesses of my brain where the intermediate Spanish classes I took nine years ago are stored. I also found it depressing as Wao is a self-destructive glutton feasting on trouble. It reminds me slightly of Wuthering Heights in the fact that it sent my own spirit into a downward spiral of depression.
With that said, I appreciate the skill that Diaz displays as well as his reverence, brushing off the flowery language of glorified literature and writing in the common man's prose.
 
Hopefully, I have not detoured anyone from taking this book in hand and learning it's inner-most secrets. Perhaps, I have fallen short in this regard. However, there is always another book to pick up and other characters to befriend. Perhaps I will have better luck next time.

Up next: A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain by Robert Olen Butler, winner of the 1993 Pulitzer.
 
Until then... Happy reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment