Friday, January 28, 2011

Breathing Lessons

Every once and a while, you stubble across something truly great. Something that resonates within you, and you say, "I get it."

Well, dear readers, I get it. But I get it without knowing how or what, almost as if it surpasses all conscience thought. What I do know is that one this journey of award winning books, I have found few authors from whom I would like to glean more. However, in some ways, I feel that I have found a kindred spirit in Anne Tyler upon reading Breathing Lessons, winner of the 1989 Pulitzer.

Anne Tyler once said "It is very difficult to live among people you love and hold back from offering advice." That pretty much sums up Breathing Lessons, which covers a single day in the life of Maggie Moran.

You first meet Maggie preparing to go with her husband, Ira, to the funeral of her oldest friend's husband. Before they can leave, she has to walk to the shop to pick up the car. In leaving the shop, Maggie hears what seems to be a familiar voice on the radio declaring that she is getting remarried, this time for security. Distracted, Maggie pulls into the road, crashing into a passing vehicle.This single event creates a domino effect, derailing Ira's best laid plans into an uncharted exploration of past grievances and new attempts at redemption.

I immediately feel in love with the character of Maggie Moran. Perhaps it is because she reminds me a little bit of my mama and a little bit of me.  A hopeless Romantic to her very core, Maggie seeks to make everyone happy. Plotting her little disastrous plans, she tries desperately to  reunite her son with his estranged wife and daughter, and her sporadic efforts to rekindle her husband's affections are heartbreakingly humorous.

Anne Tyler is exquisite insight into the vase realm of human emotions and the uncanny ability to accurately depict the depth in the human existence. Her characters are so relatable - so human - because they are flawed people. Flawed, but all the while trying to become better, hoping to become better.

Yes, Ms. Tyler, it is difficult to live with the people you love and hold back from offering advice. I struggle with that daily. Like Maggie, I offer advice with the best of intentions, but the road to Hell is also paved with them, so I am told. I just pray that, in the end, Adah will forgive me.
Up next, One of Ours by Willa Cather, winner of the 1923 Pulitzer.

Until then... Happy reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment