Tuesday, September 21, 2010

I am Beloved and she is mine.

Oh, Beloved. Where do I start?


I have tried to read Toni Morrison once before... in high school. I thought at the time that I just wasn't mature enough to read her writings. Now at the budding age of 28, I am still not sure if I am mature enough to read her writings. I have come to the conclusion that Morrison is what I would consider an earthy writer, covering topics I would consider best left behind closed doors.

With that said, though, I really enjoyed this novel.

Beloved, winning the Pulitzer in 1988, is the tragic story of Sethe, a runaway slave. Her life was never easy before or after she obtained her freedom.


When first introduce to the dwelling of 124, you understand that something spiritual dwells there besides Sethe and her surviving daughter, Denver. Sethe's sons have since run away due to the somewhat antagonistic spirit. Within the first couple of chapters, Paul D, a fellow slave from Sweet Home, finds his way to her door, and this is when life really changes for the residents of 124.

Sethe and Paul D bond over a shared past of slavery, torture, and eventual freedom. However, Beloved, the ominous spiritual presents, cannot allow Sethe to move passed her death, to love anyone other than her, or, quite frankly, to be happy. This is when a unknown woman shows up at the home of 124. She calls herself Beloved, but she cannot remember where she came from or where she found her new clothes. All she knows is that, "I am Beloved, and she is mine."

After Beloved's arrival, Paul D is driven out of the house, Sethe secludes herself in her delusional bliss and her true past is revealed. However, much like Ghostbusters, it does have a happy ending. Beloved is sent back from whence she came and if forgotten. There is rumor that she is an escaped slaved whose owner was found murdered awhile back and is a plausible alternative. It is left to the reader to decide.

While it was a good story at the core, I would have felt more comfortable had certain details be left to the imagination. I have a pretty vivid one on my own. Mothers beware if your kids are asked to read this in middle school or high school. If I read another book by Morrison, it will several years from now, when I have read everything on my bucket list.

Up next, Ironweed by William Kennedy, winner of the Pulitzer in 1984.

Until then... Happy reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment